Go Back   Forums > forum.tambura.com.hr in English > English subforum

Opcije Teme Način Prikaza
Staro 15-11-2006, 14:26
Djuroslav Djuroslav je odsutan trenutno
Član

Registriran: Nov 2006
Djuroslav je na dobrom putu 10
Thumbs up Across The Atlantic Interaction

Hrvoje is RIGHT, Saky! Get with it, my man. You now have four interested tambura players from the United States as members on your site, and I imagine there will be more IF you guys from Europe start to give us your valued opinions.
Staro 15-11-2006, 22:14
Hrvoje Hrvoje je odsutan trenutno

Registriran: Dec 2005
Hrvoje će postati slavan vrlo brzoHrvoje će postati slavan vrlo brzo 116
Uobičajeno

It looks like that our man saky isn't too interested in these discussions and I guess I'll have to start a thread in Croatian to find out the reasons why other people from this forum aren't participating... Is it only their English or is there something more to it...

I hope that all you guys won't get disheartened by this lack of interest, 'cause I know that there's a lot of passion and love towards tambura music and Croatia in the Croatian-American society and its members.

I must tell you that I'm a little envious 'cause in America you have the opportunity to play different music (Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Romanian bands) and our choice of ethnic music styles is pretty limited. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I find out different bands that guys from the U.S. like Peter or Marko Dreher play in. It's also interesting to hear guys that are not of Croatian descent that play tambura...

So, talking about valued opinions... I would like your valued opinions about the general tambura situation in the States and its prospects... I once found a text about Jerry Grcevich on the net where tamburica is defined (explained) as a "miniature bouzuki" Do you think that tambura has any chance to come close (in terms of people recognizing the sound and shape of the instrument) to world famous string ethnic instruments like balalaika and bouzuki?
Staro 15-11-2006, 22:32
tamish tamish je odsutan trenutno

Registriran: May 2006
tamish zrači veličanstvenom auromtamish zrači veličanstvenom aurom 180
Uobičajeno an observation...

"...where tamburica is defined (explained) as a "miniature bouzuki"

I've heard even better comments ( from Britts) about the prim, like : "...cute little mandoline...", or "cute ukulelle!", so I agree with that mission of yours, Mr. Ban(Hrvouye...to complicated to pronounce... )

Četir' konja debela u pesmu si uprezala !
Četir' strane sveta u pupak si nam uvezala !
Ej, Vojvodino od plača, od đubreta i od kolača,
a vere četir', a peta ciganska, a šesta iz tambure riče !

...galerija slika tambura...klik

https://www.facebook.com/ZbirkaTambura
Staro 16-11-2006, 19:10
Rudyk Rudyk je odsutan trenutno
Član

Rudyk je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

Hrvoje,

Thanks for info on Croatian tambura.

I don't know anything about TamburaWeb .... but i remember going to it.

Tambura on the American side. You are correct, we are fortunate that we can play all types of ethnic music. But at some Croatian and Serbian events we have to be careful to only play croatian or serbian songs and kolos. Even then, i believe, its really the large number of new people that came over from Europe in the last 15 years that it bothers. Most american croatians and serbians that are 2nd and 3rd generation here don't know what country a kolo came from and have been dancing them all for years. I have just learned what kolos came from where in the past few years....now that we have to be more careful.

You could write a book on the history of American Tambura....actually I think they have been written. Maybe someone from USA can give us the titles and where to buy them.

And as for the current status ....maybe someone like John Morovich might want to answer that. He probably knows more of over all picture than I do.
You have the regular Croatian and Serbian (4-6 musician) bands. 25 of these bands play yearly at the TAA Festival. Not sure in total how many of those bands there are ...maybe 40-50 total ?

You have large Croatian adult groups that have their own festival each year...20 groups ?

I believe there are Serbian adult groups also.

There are Croatian Junior groups...their own festival also.
There are Serbian Junior groups.

And then there are all the electric bands...some 4-5 guys, some just 2 or 3.

Even I would like to know what's being played in each USA and Canadian city.(tambura verses electric). I think electric hast started to take over ...even more where there is large community that came over from Europe in the last 15 years. But there still are events that just want tambura.

Again, maybe someone else from USA and Canadacan comment on this. There's been some threads on Tamburaland regarding this...we should find these. Large number of Croatians and Serbians(i think) in Niagara Falls-Toronto region.

Well, thats all for now. Lunch is over..back to work.

Ja zelim da svarim moj tambura svaki dan i svaki noc !
Staro 16-11-2006, 21:36
tamish tamish je odsutan trenutno

tamish zrači veličanstvenom auromtamish zrači veličanstvenom aurom 180
Uobičajeno Book? Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyk
You could write a book on the history of American Tambura....actually I think they have been written. Maybe someone from USA can give us the titles and where to buy them.

Hi, Rudyk, I guess I'm gonna wait to see the movie! Hope with Charlton Heston starring ( he was awesom in historicals!)

Until the movie, please, write down something on that issue, I'm only trying to encourage you a bit

Četir' konja debela u pesmu si uprezala !
Četir' strane sveta u pupak si nam uvezala !
Ej, Vojvodino od plača, od đubreta i od kolača,
a vere četir', a peta ciganska, a šesta iz tambure riče !

...galerija slika tambura...klik

https://www.facebook.com/ZbirkaTambura
Staro 16-11-2006, 23:27

Uobičajeno

Now this really sucks (and it didn't happen for the first time ) - I was writing a lengthy post and then when I wanted to submit it it asked for my un and pw and then I got an "invalid thread" error and *zap* my post was gone... I usually copy it to clipboard prior to submitting it, but now I forgot to do that.... ARGH!

Ok, so I have to try and calm down...

I was writing mostly about narodnjaci (Serbian contemporary turbo folk music) that's all over Croatian discos and nightclubs and our youth (and mobsters) are goin' crazy over it. I wonder if the same (or similar) situation is in the States...?

The other part of my post was about Richard March's article My Little Global Village (selo moje malo): Contemporary Tambura Music-Making in the United States

I found a link mentioning the text - http://www.ceeol.com/aspx/issuedetai...2-7d3cdb9e12c8

The description is :

The author discusses the recent technological and political changes that have influenced the tradition of tamburitza music-making in the United States. Citing concrete examples, he discusses the stylistic unification that has resulted through diminished isolation of the North American tamburitza tradition from the music's original homelands in Croatia and Vojvodina and between geographically separated American communities. He mentions improved communications owing to the availability of internet websites, message boards, music available to download or listen to on-line, also of mobile telephones, satellite television and cheaper airline travel. In addition, he discusses the indirect influences on the tamburitza scene in the Croatian- and Serbian-American communities in North America arising from the downfall of Communist governments in Europe, the establishment of an independent Croatian state and the Homeland War. He provides biographical information on and discusses the musical contributions of a few key figures in the contemporary North American tamburitza scene such as Jerry Grcevich, Vjeko Dimter, Joe Kirin and Peter Kosovec.
Keywords: tambura music-making; globalization; United States of America

Can anybody tell me more about Mr. March and his article? Thanks.
Staro 17-11-2006, 06:19
imp imp je odsutan trenutno
Član

imp je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

Hrvoje,

Here's the link to the complete text and author biography for "My little global village" by Richard March:

http://www.tamburaland.com/events/richardmarch1.html
Staro 17-11-2006, 13:34

Uobičajeno

Thanks for the link, imp... A great article, I don't know how I missed it before
Staro 17-11-2006, 18:09
Djuroslav Djuroslav je odsutan trenutno
Član

Djuroslav je na dobrom putu 10
Talking 'American' Tambura Music

The above referenced 'Richard March' article is a very good synopsis of the current state of Tambura music in America, and how it is evolving. After reading his presentation, I hope that our European friends get a better understanding of how we 'Americans' are playing, singing, and preserving the music of our 'homeland' here in the United States & Canada.

As far as 'Turbo-folk' music goes, Hrvoje - We tambura players here in the U.S. could care less. All of the organizations mentioned by Mr. March in his article have one common goal in mind; the playing of tambura music in the TRADITIONAL way. Although there ARE groups playing a so-called modern style, the vast majority of us want to play tambura in the 'narodna' style.

So how about recommending, or posting some nice mp3's that we might not have heard yet?

Hvala.
Staro 17-11-2006, 21:25

Uobičajeno March - ozujak

Wow, it looks that Mr March himself has joined this message board under the nick "ozujak" So it would be great if you would join this discussion, Gosp. Ozujak Once more, a great article, I've read it for the second time and it gave me a lot of interesting information about the US tambura scene. Both it's past and present.
Staro 21-11-2006, 04:45
joeleno joeleno je odsutan trenutno
Član

joeleno je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno bok

evo konacno malo vremena da se javim. gledam na jedno oko...skoro do kraja flase vina i mislim da vidim dvije tambura na logo www.tambura.com.hr.. oh shit, yea to su dvije tambure fakin.

Djuro! long way from home man! nice to see you bulshit malo with hrvoje and the guys here.

bok.. skoro sam pijan i idem spavat. bok!
Staro 21-11-2006, 13:34

Uobičajeno

Hey, Joe!

Evo i jednog majstora iz Chicaga ovdje...

Since this is a thread about a potential English subforum I'll continue in English... Joe, hope you'll find some time to participate in this forum, its English and Croatian discussions.

Keep tamburocking, man!
Staro 30-11-2006, 00:53

Uobičajeno

So it looks that my little experiment has failed... Unfortunately the Croatian speaking majority of this forum somehow didn't find the strength, motivation and will power to participate in these discussions.

I am willing to continue the discussion, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if it's just me from the Croatian side. Oh well... The thing I'm kinda worried about is the t'land forum which is also pretty dead.

Guys, is the tambura still alive in the US??
Staro 30-11-2006, 13:23

Uobičajeno

Guess the tambura is still alive and kickin' in the States!

Staro 30-11-2006, 19:16
Rudyk Rudyk je odsutan trenutno
Član

Rudyk je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

Hrvoje,
Check tland...i sent response to your latest post.
Yes, Tland has been so quiet lately, i sometimes think people can't find it since the site was changed in the spring....but that can't have any thing to do with it.

Tambura is alive USA.
March is coming and the first TAA mid-year Extravaganza will be held in Cleveland, Ohio. It is a malo version of the yearly big festival. There are 10 bands instead of 25 bands. We are fortunate to be 1 of the 10 bands and are looking forward to it. Each band plays a 12 minute concert and at night there will be breakout rooms and a dance where 3 or 4 bands will play at a time while everyone wanders from room to room. Dobro time.

We jam in Buffalo at the Serbian Club on Friday nights....not as often as we used to. Croatian Club is on the next street over...but Serb Club has been the jamming location.

Talk more later.

Rudyk
Adriatic Braca Tamburica Orchestra
Staro 30-11-2006, 19:52

Uobičajeno

Rudyk, this Ganza and mid-year Ganza stuff sounds really cool... I hope that one day I'll have the opportunity to come to see and hear that in person.

I really like this Uncle Sam with a basprim pic

And I'm really puzzled why is tamburaland's forum so quite lately...
Staro 30-11-2006, 19:59
PozzSka PozzSka je odsutan trenutno
Mlađi diskutant

PozzSka je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

Hrvoje,

to answer your question about the highly decorated American tambure...

the last I heard, at a lecture about tambure at the Detroit Extravagnaza, was that in the early part of the 20th century when many Croatian and Serbian immigrants came to America, they were very proud of their culture and their music. So to show their pride the tambure evolved into more decorative insturments. And the 2nd and third generations stuck with that. It wasn't until technology became more advanced that the styles and sounds and instruments started coming over from Europe, that the tambure in America (more so in the Croatian people) started to mimic the European style. Now you have many bands in America that play Eurpean instruments, and have moved away from the highly decorated instruments of the early immigrants.

Djuroslav, you were at that lecture playing with Kenko, when (Iforget his name) was speaking just before you played.

I'm both parts Serbian and Croatian, but the Croatian side of my family never did much that was Croatian because, unfortunately, my great grandfather didn't want to to be Croatian when he moved to America he wanted to be American, so he didn't teach the language or culture to his grand children. The Serbian side of my family, however, still plays tambure all the time, we get together as a family at least once a week and jam for three or four hours. My family does play the American style instruments though I, being the pioneer, have been trying to save up to order a European instrument for some time. I can play all of the instruments, just some better than others, bugarija (my first) then prim.

Hrvoje, you have more contact in Croatia then I do, obviously. I've heard lots of names mentioned, and everybody here has their opinions, but I'm looking for a E Kontra, and E prim, and I'm curious, who you think is the best majstori for the dollar? I want to order something, but I can't play before I buy, and as a musician that kinda bothers me. So I'm hesitant, but I don't want to wait till I can someday go to Novi Sad or Vojvodina or wherever, who knows when that will be.

Well there's my answer, story, and question. Hvala.
Staro 30-11-2006, 20:04
PozzSka PozzSka je odsutan trenutno
Mlađi diskutant

PozzSka je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

And one other thing...where do you American guys get trzalice? Who sells those in America or ships them from Euro?

I have emailed a couple people I've found, but have heard nothing back.
Staro 30-11-2006, 20:16

Uobičajeno

Hi, PozzSka and welcome to this forum...

Well, since I'm the only one from Croatia participating in this thread, maybe it should be named - "Ask Hrvoje"

Thanks for the explanation about decorated American-made tamburas. It is a really logical and understandable explanation.

As far as tambura majstori go, I really wouldn't know who has the best price/quality ratio. I guess old Bocan kontras are most highly esteemed among tamburasi (kontrasi), but you can also get a new instrument for a reasonable price and of good quality. I personaly own a kontra which is kind of a copy of a Bocan and was made by Mr. Brodaric from Popovaca. It's really good value for money. You can see the pic and hear a sample ("Winter sky" intro) here - http://www.forum.tambura.com.hr/showthread.php?t=92

Maybe some primasi can write more about prims... Saky?
Staro 01-12-2006, 11:33
saky saky je odsutan trenutno
Opaki diskutant

saky će postati slavan vrlo brzo 56
Uobičajeno

aj dont'a spika englez

Opcije Teme
Način Prikaza

Pravila Postanja