Opcije Teme Način Prikaza
Staro 01-12-2006, 18:54
Rudyk Rudyk je odsutan trenutno
Član

Registriran: Nov 2006
Rudyk je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

Pozzka,

You might want to contact Lado...originally from Europe. He lives in New York City....has been to several extravaganza's.....I bought two e-prims from him..... and others from the states have his prim. When I bought mine, he had multiple prims for me to try so I could pick the one i liked.

If you call, tell him Rudy from Buffalo sent you to him.

Ladislav Lado Krklec
Home: 718 733-9193
Cell: 917 676-3156
Staro 06-12-2006, 16:43
PozzSka PozzSka je odsutan trenutno
Mlađi diskutant

PozzSka je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

Rudyk,

are his instruments more of the European style? The finished look, sound, feel, etc.?

I think everyone missed my other question...where do you buy trzalice? I fished my way through some of the other threads here (sve na hrvatski) and I can't read them, and there has been talk about some stuff, but i can't find a place to order them. I have one given to me by a friend, and if i lost it I would have to play with a guitar pick.

Help me molim, hvala.
Staro 06-12-2006, 17:02
Hrvoje Hrvoje je odsutan trenutno

Registriran: Dec 2005
Hrvoje će postati slavan vrlo brzoHrvoje će postati slavan vrlo brzo 116
Uobičajeno

Hm... Yes, quality horn picks are a problem here in Croatia and I guess even bigger overseas. I have a similar problem like you. I have 1 (one) good horn pick for kontra and if I lose it I'm stuck with a plastic pick.

The problem is that there isn't an organized trade of making horn picks and there isn't one or more established manufacturers. Tamburasi make their own picks once they find a horn of good quality and then they give them (sell them) to their fellow tamburasi.

On the thread "prim i trzalicu tražim" there's info about a guy who allegedly sells deer horn picks he gets from Serbia - the prices are - prim 15€, basprim 20€, kontra 25€. His e-mail is felipe@vip.hr I don't know anything about that, it's just a translation of marek's post about picks. Marek also says that the picks are large, they don't wear off and they can last up to three years (if you don't lose it, lol).

So, maybe you should e-mail this Felipe and get more info.
Staro 06-12-2006, 18:56
Rudyk Rudyk je odsutan trenutno
Član

Rudyk je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

Pozzska,

Yes his instruments are European style.
But like all instruments, try them before you buy, look for the "sweet" one.
And be aware of the width of the fret board and thickness of the neck. They can vary between makers...start to figure our what sizes work best for you.

As for picks, I have been using Delrin material. But it is very specific how to make them. This is a very hard plastic....used for many things...like gears in fishing rods.... also, probably used for the Delrin brand name guitar pick that has been around for years. I have found the thickness needs to be about 105 thousands for it be hard enough. The taper, length, and width all affect the playing ability. Once you get what works for you, be meticulous in always making them the same.

Delrin wears out very slowly, and does not give you burrs that you have to
keep sanding off. Night quite as bright sounding as horn...but close enough.

You can buy it in 1foot x 1foot sheets. I tried the .09375 thickness but that 10 thou makes a difference...buy thicker and sand down to 105-108 thou.
Or try the thinner if you want...i can tell the difference...but you may not.
Might cost you 10-$20 for 1x1. Cut with a hacksaw. Don't make your tapper at end too thin or it will come out sounding "Ticky".

The beauty of using this is you can make as many as you want and you can experiment until you find the size that works best for you. I used one length for over a year and then decided to try a little longer length ...so it was easy to make a new one...and now that is my new standard pick.
Staro 06-12-2006, 18:57
Mlađi diskutant

Uobičajeno

I actually have emailed him, and he told me he would email me if he got more...I'll guess I'll have to do some research and find some horn to make my own...any suggestions on type of horn/bone/material/tools to use??

Hrvoje, have you ever heard of the majstora F. Cindric? He lives in Croatia, and I have some pictures of his instruments, but I was curious if you have ever heard good or bad about him? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Staro 06-12-2006, 18:59
Mlađi diskutant

Uobičajeno

Thanks for the info Rudyk, you have any pics of your tambure?

I just read on Dusanu Rajkovicu website that he sells trzalice, so I guess one could email him about them. He's in Serbia (Novi Sad or Subotica, I can't remember which).

www.tambura.org
Staro 06-12-2006, 19:11

Uobičajeno

@PozzSka - I don't have a clue about making bone picks, but there is a column on tamburaland where Joe Kirin gives more info about it - http://www.tamburaland.com/column/column.html (the May 31st, 2002 entry).

About majstor Cindric - I've never heard of him or anything about him... But I'm not that informed so maybe somebody else heard something about him, but as you probably noticed people are generally pretty uninterested in writing anything in English. So, you're pretty much stuck with me.

Rajkovic is actually from Sremska Mitrovica, south of Novi Sad. If you're interested in geography and maps - here's a map of Vojvodina - http://www.zolitas.co.yu/karta_vojvodine.jpg
Staro 07-12-2006, 15:24
Mlađi diskutant

Uobičajeno

OK, close enough...

I know Joe, in his post he mentions slaughter houses for bone...I know a guy that runs one. Awesome.

Hvala puno, Hrvoje.

Ziveli "Ask Hrvoje!"
Staro 08-12-2006, 18:48
Tominellay Tominellay je odsutan trenutno
Član

Tominellay je na dobrom putu 10
Uobičajeno

Hi, all...
Hrvoje, I appreciate you keeping the English-language communication continuing here. Thank you!

A few weeks ago I asked for help in acquiring the score for the Njikos piece "Tri Ruze"; Ivo in San Diego was kind enough to email the singer's chart. I'm still in need of the orchestral score, though, and I will certainly appreciate any help in obtaining it!

Possibly in connection to this, I have recently been sent a couple email messages from locations in Croatia (the e-addresses included .hr). Those messages were intercepted by computer security for possible viruses, and I did not receive what was sent! So, if some have attempted to send me musical scores, I appreciate it, and I ask that they re-send; perhaps there can be a better result...

Here's a question: There's a video clip on YouTube making the rounds, showing a tambura band of young guys, and featuring a celo player...It's a terrific clip...Who are these guys?

I wish you all a Happy and Holy Christmas, and Happy Birthday to Saky, in English, of course...
Staro 08-12-2006, 19:01

Uobičajeno

Hey, Tominellay!

I'm trying to keep things going here and I'm glad that you guys also greatly contribute. Too bad that nobody else from the Croatian side participates, but hey, it's their loss.

This is also a very good thing for me to brush up my English and stay "in shape", 'cause I don't have a lot of opportunity to use the language and I'm studying it and will perhaps one day make a living out of it.

As far as the clip you're mentioning goes - is it this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0mfuq9nRYc - the guys on this clip I crosslinked are Tamburasi za dusu, a band that no longer exists, but Kruno (the cello player) is now a part of NHT.
Staro 08-12-2006, 19:45
Član

Uobičajeno

Yes, that's the clip! Tamburasi za dusu...That was a nice band; and congrats to Kruno, bravo!

Your English is excellent, Hrvoje, and it has improved in the several years you've been posting on tamburica-related web sites...

Anyone who can share the Tri Ruze score may email a file to me here:
tom.yeseta@warnerbros.com
Staro 08-12-2006, 20:18

Uobičajeno English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominellay
Your English is excellent, Hrvoje, and it has improved in the several years you've been posting on tamburica-related web sites...
Why, thank you, Sir, you are most kind. I do try my very best to master the exquisite English language (these two sentences uttered with a British accent ). I had the opportunity to spend a couple of months studying and living in Brno (the Czech Republic) and I can guarantee that the best way to improve you language skills is to live abroad. You're forced to use the language and you're bound to improve your foreign language.

Unfortunately, until now I haven't had the opportunity to visit an English-speaking country and while my written English is ok, my spoken English sucks and I'm always disappointed when I have to speak English and I usually use the most basic words and grammar.

Hey, Tominellay, you work for WB? Cool! What exactly is your job there?

EDIT: About TZD (Tamburasi za dusu), there are a lot of their mp3s on our gmail account. Did you check that out? If you need the password for it, you can PM me.
Staro 09-12-2006, 02:59
saky saky je odsutan trenutno
Opaki diskutant

Registriran: May 2006
saky će postati slavan vrlo brzo 56
Uobičajeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominellay
I wish you all a Happy and Holy Christmas, and Happy Birthday to Saky, in English, of course...
Five more days, but appreciate it..thanks
Staro 10-12-2006, 00:08
_maestro_ _maestro_ je odsutan trenutno
Vrlo opaki diskutant

Registriran: Oct 2006
_maestro_ zrači veličanstvenom aurom_maestro_ zrači veličanstvenom aurom 156
Uobičajeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by saky
Bilo je zanimljivih diskusija, prije 2 godine..sad se to pretvorilo u mjesto za cestitanje rodjendana...
pa sretan ti rodjendan saky...
Staro 10-12-2006, 12:43
saky saky je odsutan trenutno
Opaki diskutant

Registriran: May 2006
saky će postati slavan vrlo brzo 56
Uobičajeno

T - 4 days..
but hvala
Staro 10-12-2006, 18:59

Uobičajeno Tamburitza America by Milan Opacich

Hey, US guys!

I stumbled upon an ad for this book purely by chance (in a paperback Elderly Instruments - www.elderly.com - my brother ordered from the States). Do you have any more first-hand info about this book? Maybe you have it or you've read it? It looks pretty interesting and I'm really interested in tambura history everywhere (Croatia, Europe in general, USA). I have a feeling it's pretty well written and put together.

If you don't have a clue what I'm talkin about (but I guess you do) - http://www.serbworldusa.com/TAMBURITZAAMERICA.html
http://elderly.com/also/books/items/654-1.htm

Staro 11-01-2007, 18:19

Uobičajeno

This thread is pretty dead (nice rhyming, Hrvoje ), but I see an occasional English-speaking member of this forum droping by and then leaving this forum... So, this thread is still open and I hope we can make it alive again... Any questions, comments, views and ideas how to make that happen? I was hoping to get some info about the book "Tamburitza America", but so far no luck in getting it...
Staro 11-01-2007, 19:48
Mlađi diskutant

Uobičajeno

I don't have any info other than I know the guy who wrote it...I've met the man several times, Milan Opacich. He is a great man. He makes instruments, plays them, arranges, etc. He's half Croatian, half Serbian. What kind of info are you looking for. The man is very intelligent, he is a historian of sorts.
Staro 11-01-2007, 19:51

Uobičajeno

Well, I was wondering if somebody has read it to give a short review... Mr Sinisa Leopold wrote a similar book (I don't own it and haven't read it either) - "Tambura u Hrvata"... So, I'm curious how did this "Tamburitza America" book succeed in the US-tambura circle, is it well-written, interesting?
Staro 11-01-2007, 22:19
Član

Uobičajeno

I've seen this book; I'll comment on it later...

Opcije Teme
Način Prikaza

Pravila Postanja